Friday, July 30, 2010

In the land of the Ruskies

So without question, Russia has been interesting. I came here on a visa run with the intention of working a bit at a summer camp, then going back to Mongolia after its all said and done. Russia has been, well, everything I would have expected. In the course of travel, one quickly learns to throw the stereotypes out and expect the unexpected. In the strangest turn of fate, Russia has been the exception to that rule. Siberia is, well, actually Siberia. No its not cold right now and the people are warm and kind. But everything else, is well, Russian. In the way movies, books, stories I've heard about Russia were told. Soviet this, Soviet that. Vodka. Kisses by bear hugging babuskas. Borsh. "Back in Communist times" stories. Russia words such as "Davai" that I'd heard in a thousand military films. Dudes in blue/white striped submarine shirts. Mullets proudly worn. Every joke told to me making me think of one guy... Borat. All this said, I'm really enjoying Russia. Its not negative criticism by any means, its just calling it what it is. In all its humor of the grandest stereotypes.

The camp was good. I spent it working a few hours a day, picking up trash and one day being the fire guy, collecting firewood and making sure the fire was big enough for those cooking. Simple enough work, but also had the realization that camps truely are the same wherever you go. The culture of a camp, the events that take place... The pranks, the romances, the food is almost a cultural universal. I loved it but did grow tired of cleaning up hundreds of vodka bottles from a bunch of drunksies. Maybe I'll go back, who knows. I've got 10 days left on my visa, then its back to Mongolia. The change of pace is nice, but after living in Mongolia, its hard being in a new country that I dont speak the language. Not that I cant understand when they talk about me the "americansky". Alas, being here in great, Russia is just one of those places that well, its there, and you ought to go to because, well, its there, and they have perhaps one of the finest collections of 1980's mullets left in the world. And more techno than you can handle.

1 comment:

  1. So are you comming back to Mongolia with a mullet? I hope you took a lot of nice baths in the freezing Baikal lake.

    ReplyDelete