Friday, July 16, 2010

The Beginning or the end of Mongolia?

Well the end has finally come. In short, I've taught another month's time. Details are basically this, I had to leave Mongolia to come right back for a visa change, going from Business to Tourist is complicated so I had to arrange either a Chinese or Russian visa. I've done China 3 times and I hate it, so why not Russia? Things worked out well. If you're unaware of couchsurfing.org check it out. I had a Dutch couchsurfer stay with me who is organizing a volunteer camp at Lake Baikal this summer. Free room and board next to the lake in return for a few hours of work per day. Great deal really, considering I'll be doing a bit of everything outside in the forest, I'm totally game. I love chopping firewood! Anyway so I'm heading up there and will be couchsurfing with her this weekend. Its a nice change of pace from the classroom. 2 weeks from now I'll probably be back in Mongolia, extending my tourist visa and THEN finally heading off on my Mongol adventure. Nothing works out as it should, its never easy, and more than once you'll find you have to return somewhere due to an insignificant detail arising. Its travel. Its not going to be easy, never fool yourself into thinking it will be.

As for leaving, I'm sad. Seriously considering returning after the summer to teach another six months. I'm torn. I love my life here, then again, with so many loved ones back home that I'm away from and slowly loosing connections with, is it worth it to stay? Sure I can always come back, but it makes it harder with the flights and the cost. One of my favorite travel quotes is simple yet profound "Wherever you are, be there". True to life, work, and of course the journeys that we all take. I've done that in Mongolia, did it in Alaska, did it in College. I was there 100% when I was there. The question that I must decide upon is where do I want to be? Kansas' appeal is simple. People. My people. Mongolia is different and I've enjoyed the expat life. I dont know how it'll turn out.

If all goes to plan, I've got my hammock, a few good books next to one of the most beautiful lakes in the world and a large supply of CLIF bars. Coupled with an easy schedule, hiking boots that need dirtied up, I have the feeling I'll do just fine. Where will I go from here? God only knows.

1 comment:

  1. I vote Stay. You will have the rest of your life to reunite with old friends... and the Internet makes it easier every day to stay in touch at the basic level. You may not ever have the opportunity to return if you go home now.

    ReplyDelete