Sunday, August 2, 2009

Naked river crossings to celebrate my time in Alaska

With August beginning, it is only now dawning on me that I have now been in Alaska a little over two months. What a time it has been! Life was in such a rush as I left Kansas in such a hurry the night of my graduation to first hike with Craig, a quick return to attend Steve-O's wedding, and bam I was up here. Life has slowed down alot for me, although a bit too much in many regards. I realized I'd been rather lazy when it came to my hiking here. Sure I've gone on lots of jaunts into the woods, climbed a bit, and overnighted a few times... but this is what I've dreamed of for years! I gotta get out and explore it!!!

Realistically I've not been hiking enough here, I fixed that today by climbing Coldfoot Mountain which has loomed right over me all summer. It was a great hike, I summited in 2 hours 45 minutes after crossing the Koyukuk River. Doing it alone and not wanting to soak my clothes, I crossed the river naked save for my hat and shirt hiked up like a bikini. I must have been a sight to anyone that might have seen, although I doubt anybody did. Its the wilderness afterall. I've had some cold stream crossings here before, but man o man that was icy! I kept thinking as I did it of the weird nudists that have been hiking across Europe naked lately that I read about on the BBC. I crossed quickly, dried off, and hurried up getting my clothes on. Dont want to chance someone seeing that... I'm not a weirdo nudist. I just think its something funny to blog about at 2 am.

The rest of the summer I need to get out there, I love how the "typical view" changed as soon as I was up a few thousand feet. Its good to reflect like that and see the beauty around oneself in a new light. Gotta use up my daylight now... only got about 21 hours of sun a day now. Honestly its been a bit depressing... 24 hours of sun is so invigorating! I will miss that about Alaska for a long time to come I think.

I did think of a few good friends on this hike, reflected on those I miss back home. I look forward to raising a pint with them in the fall and straping on a backpack by their sides as I jaunt back into familiar territory. Chances are if you're reading this, that includes you. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment